Mailing Address

Development Services Dept
Code Enforcement Unit
P.O. Box 839966
San Antonio, Texas

Request for Code Services

Residents: 311
   Outside: (210) 207 6000

Office Phone Numbers

Phone: (210) 207 7881
FAX: (210) 207 0199

Resident Responsibilities

CES Banner

Welcome to the Code Enforcement online resource for property owners and tenants. This site provides San Antonio residents the Do’s & Don'ts of top property issues to avoid the most common code violations.

Residents are encouraged to use this resource to maintain a safer community and keep our City beautiful.

To report code violations, call 311, or visit the City Connect Online Services.

For questions regarding code concerns and violations, contact Code Enforcement.

Alley Maintenance Requirements

Here’s what you need to know about taking care of your alley…

alley maintenance

  • Mow the alley to its center and keep it free of debris and other obstructions; your neighbor is responsible for maintaining the other half.
  • There must be a clearance of at least fourteen (14) feet high by fifteen (15) feet wide for vehicles to enter the alley, and the alley bed must be reasonably free of debris and passable to the vehicle.
  • Remember that additional regulations apply for garbage and recyclable collection in an alley, City code 14-10(d.).
  • Contact the City if you have any questions or have received a notice of violation from Code Enforcement.

  • Let your alley become overgrown and filled with junk.
  • Fence off any portion of the alley; it is a public passage way and must be kept open just like a city street.
  • Obstruct the alley with plants or stored items.
  • Ignore a notice of violation from the City.

For more information about alley maintenance requirements, visit Alley maintenance standards [section 14-64(h)].

Curbstoning Vehicles

What you need to know about curbstoning vehicles…


  • Sell your own vehicle out of your home (No more than five per calendar year)
  • Sell your vehicle at an authorized vehicle sales facility

  • Place your vehicle in a conspicuous way on public land or commercial property with the intent to sell
  • Leave your vehicle at a location, that is not your own, with the intent to sell

For more information, visit curbstoning.

Fence Construction Requirements

What you need to know about building and maintaining your fence...


  • Obtain a permit from the Development Services Department before building a fence, even if you are building it yourself.
  • Maintain your fence in compliance with property maintenance standards.
  • Repair your fence if it leans in excess of 15 degrees from vertical or if it has any broken, rotted or fire-damaged slats; you may remove the fence instead of repairing it if the fence is not required by another City code, San Antonio Property Maintenance Code (SAPMC) section 302.7.1.
  • Abide by the height restrictions and construction standards found in the Unified Development Code (UDC), section 35-514.
  • Make sure you know where your property lines or boundaries are located.  The City does not provide this service to homeowners.
  • Call 811 to locate any possible utility lines before digging postholes.  Failure to do so is against the law and might hurt you if strike a utility line.

  • Use barbed wire or razor wire on your fence; this type of material requires special permission from Development Services before installation.
  • Wire the fence with electricity; electric fences require special permission from the Development Services Department before installation.
  • Use plywood, sheet metal, plastic, paper, tarps or similar material not approved by the Development Services Department.
  • Ignore a notice of violation from the City.

Front and Side Yard Parking

What you need to know about Front and Side Yard Parking...

front parking

  • Park on an improved surface (gravel, concrete, brick, asphalt, etc.)
  • You can utilize your yard for overnight RV preparation for a trip
  • Pave no more than 50% of your front yard if needed (consult your Neighborhood Association)

  • Park on your unimproved front yard
  • Block your city Right-of-Way or sidewalk
  • Drive, propel, park or stand any vehicle upon any sidewalk

To learn more, visit front and side yard parking.

Garage / Yard Sales

What you need to know about Garage / Yard Sales...

garage sale

  • Obtain a Garage Sale permit before the start of the sale from one of the following locations: 
  • Post the permit in plain view at the time of the garage sale.
  • Display up to two (2) signs no larger than four (4) square feet in area, on the premises, announcing the sale during the permitted time of sale.
  • Hours of Garage / Yard Sale operations are from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
  • You may have up to four (4) Garage / Yard Sales per calendar year, on each property, not to exceed one (1) garage sale per quarter.
  • Save your first three (3) Garage / Yard Sale permit receipts to obtain your fourth free permit.  The free permit can be obtained at the City's Development Services Department and the Community Link Service Centers
  • You may obtain a Garage Sale rain check at the City's Development Services Department and the Community Link Service Centers for inclement weather.  You have one week from the permit issue date to obtain a rain check.  A rain check for emergency situations can be obtained by contacting the Development Services Department at (210) 207-1111.
  • You can register any church, charitable, or non-profit organization with the Department in order to hold a maximum of twelve (12) Garage Sales per year.  While non-exempt, you must still purchase the garage permit; however, there is no fee for this registration.  Call the Development Services Department at (210) 207-1111 for registration information.

  • Have a Garage / Yard sale if a permit has not been obtained.
  • Post or display signs on telephone poles, light standards, street signs or the City right-of-ways.
  • Display the following items at your Garage / Yard Sale, these items are prohibited from selling to the public:  
    • Glue
    • Aerosol Paints
    • Guns
    • Ammunition
    • Live Animals
  • Sell food items unless you obtain a food sales permit from the City Health Department.
  • Exhibit or display items on the public right-of-way.    
  • Obtain a Garage/Yard Sale permit if you are selling five (5) items or less.


Here’s what you need to know about graffiti…


  • Property owners who have been victimized by graffiti vandalism should record damages for insurance purposes.
  • Take photos of the vandalized area and document when the crime occurred; the Police may request this information when you report it.
  • Report graffiti in progress by calling 911; graffiti is a crime.
  • Call the police non-emergency number to report graffiti vandalism, (210)207-SAPD (7273). 
  • Remove graffiti within 24-48 hours, this is key to graffiti prevention.
  • Request graffiti removal on public property by calling 311, or download the free San Antonio 311 Mobile App on your iPhone or Android.
  • Follow the 3Rs (Record, Report & Remove) to help eliminate graffiti vandalism in your community.
  • Contact the Graffiti Hotline at (210)207-Buff (2833) for assistance with removal or supplies, or if you would like to volunteer.

  • Miss an opportunity to record the graffiti, by taking a photo, for police use. 
  • Approach someone who is vandalizing property.
  • Miss an opportunity to have City staff or volunteers remove the graffiti, by reporting it to 311.
  • Leave graffiti on your property longer than 48 hours; property that is not maintained will attract more graffiti.

Junked or Inoperable Vehicles

What you need to know about junked or inoperable vehicles…

junk car

  • Maintain all privately owned vehicles in good working order on your private property.
  • Keep inoperable vehicles out of ordinary public view at all times; the vehicle should be placed in an enclosed garage, behind a privacy fence or relocated to a licensed auto repair shop.
  • If an investigation is conducted on your property for a possible inoperable vehicle, you must meet with the Code investigator within ten (10) days to verify the vehicle in question is operable.

  • Store a vehicle that is wrecked, dismantled, or partially dismantled at a residence in ordinary public view.
  • Cover an inoperable vehicle with a tarp; if it is stored on a private property it must be stored out of public view.
  • Attempt to conduct major auto repair at your residence on an inoperable vehicle; major auto repair in a residentially zoned neighborhood is not permitted.

To learn more about inoperable vehicles, visit the following links:
Sec. 19-356. - Definitions.
Sec. 19-357. - Declaration of junked vehicle to be a public nuisance.
Sec. 19-358. - Offense.
Sec. 19-359. - Authority to abate nuisance.
Sec. 19-360. - Commencement of abatement proceedings.
Sec. 19-361. - Notice to abate.
Sec. 19-362. - Abatement hearing.
Sec. 19-363. - Removal and disposal of nuisance.
Sec. 19-364. - Exceptions.

Minimum Property Maintenance

What you need to know about taking care of your home or business…

minimum housing

  • Understand the rules: the City’s minimum property maintenance code is available on-line for viewing and at all City libraries, and hard copies are available for sale at our Community Link Centers
  • Protect your home or business from the elements with paint or other protective covering or treatment
  • Mow your lawn and make sure your property is clean, safe and sanitary
  • Properly install smoke detectors and check them annually
  • Contact the City if you have any questions or have received a notice of violation from Code Enforcement

  • Defer maintenance, especially painting and maintenance of your foundation, walls and roof systems
  • Allow exposed electrical wiring or unsafe equipment to be used; have them fixed immediately
  • Ignore a notice of violation from the City

For more information about minimum property maintenance requirements, visit San Antonio Property Maintenance Code (SAPMC).

Right-of-Way Clearance Requirements

What you need to know about keeping right-of-way free of obstructions…


  • Rights-of-Way are used for public passage and for the installation of curbs, sidewalks and utilities.
  • Rights-of-Way must be kept free of obstructions including, overhanging tree limbs and other plants that impede the passage of vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
  • Contact the Development Services, Code Enforcement Section, if you have any questions about what is allowed on a City Right-of-Way.

  • Store any obstructions such as recreational equipment (swing sets, basketball goals, etc.) on City Right-of-Way.
  • Build anything on City Right-of-Way without prior approval.
  • Don’t trim any tree limbs near power lines; instead, contact CPS Energy tree trimming service.
  • Ignore a notice of violation from the City.

Vacant Lots

What you need to know about maintaining vacant lots…

vacant lot

  • Keep your lot under 12”
  • Keep your lot free of brush, debris and/or rubbish
  • Keep trees and shrubs cultivated
  • Keep your lot maintained

  • Allow your lot to become overgrown
  • Allow accumulation of brush, debris and/or rubbish which causes rodent infestation
  • Remove any trees with a trunk diameter of 2” or more without first contacting the City Arborist
  • Allow your lot to become an eyesore or a public nuisance which brings down your property value
For more information about lot clearance, visit Chapter 14, Article VII. - Lot Clearance.

Vacant Structures

What you need to know about vacant structures…

vacant structures

Clean and Secure

  • Maintain your yard
  • Remove all trash and debris from your property
  • Secure your structure
  • Follow all applicable rules and regulations regarding property maintenance  

  • Allow your yard to become overgrown in excess of 12 inches
  • Allow your property to become littered or messy
  • Allow your structure to become accessible


  • Follow all applicable rules and regulations regarding demolitions
  • Properly dispose of all demolition debris at an approved disposal facility
  • Maintain the unimproved land

  • Demolish without first obtaining a demolition permit
  • Demolish without proper utility disconnection
  • Dump demolition debris

For more information about vacant structures, visit Chapter 14, Article VII. - Lot Clearance and Chapter 6, Division 2. - Dangerous Building Procedures.