Professional Development Opportunities
The Pre-K 4 SA Professional Development Department offers Professional Development Academies for San Antonio teachers throughout the year. These free sessions are designed to provide pre-k and kindergarten educators across the city with high quality professional development that will benefit the whole child in a developmentally appropriate and purposeful way.
Teachers can register for PD Academies by emailing the following information to PDRegistration@sanantonio.gov.
1. Your full name
2. Your position title (Example: Teacher, Instructional Assistant, Administrator)
3. District and school name
4. Contact phone number
5. Titles of the sessions you want to attend.
Pre-K 4 SA participating school districts will be given priority registration, and remaining registration slots will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
Each flyer contains the location information and session descriptions for that day. All sessions directly support the Texas Prekindergarten Guidelines and/or Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills. Current PD Academies address standards for pre-k and kindergarten grade levels. Each year, a grade level will be added so that content continues to align vertically to support growth.
For questions on sessions or how to register, please call Rachel Salazar at (210)206-2746 or Linda Hamilton at (210)206-2759.
The Art of Storytelling series
- Learn the art of using effective, fun storytelling with students PK-3rd grade.
- Storytelling is a great way to increase comprehension, engage students, foster problem solving, promote creativity, and improve composition.
- Taught by an award-winning Master Storyteller.
- Learn how to weave storytelling into content areas: January 24 (Math and Science), February 7 (Reading and Writing)
- Full day sessions, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Location: North Education Center, 3635 Medical Dr., 78229
Back to Basics: Foundations of Math
- Learn about the basics of early mathematics and instruction for pre-k and kindergarten teachers
- February 14, 2015: Pre Counting Concepts and Number Sense
- February 28, 2015: Geometry & Measurement
- Time: 8:30 am - 12:30 pm (snacks will be provided)
- Location: South Education Center, 7031 S. New Braunfels, 78223
Saturday Academy: Pre-k through 1st Grade Professional Development
- Interactive and informative sessions for pre-k through 1st grade teachers taught by Texas Certified Educators
- February 21, 2015
- Session 1: 8:30 - 11:30 am, choose from:
- "Teaching Social Studies in Pre-K & K: Beyond Community Helpers and Holidays",
- "Growing Young Minds (ages 4-6)", or
- "What does STEAM look like in YOUR classroom?"
- Session 2: 12:30 - 3:30 pm, choose from:
- "'They listen, but they just don't get it!' Developing Listening Comprehension in Young Children"
- "Moving Beyond Letter of the Week and into Content-Rich Literacy Learning"
- Lunch on your own
- Location: East Education Center, 5230 Eisenhauer Rd., 78218
- Saturday Academy for Pre-K through 1st grade teachers (variety of topics): March 28, 2015
- Saturday Academy for Pre-K through 1st grade teachers (variety of topics): May 2, 2015
- Summer Academies featuring national presenters!