In 2011, Mayor Julián Castro convened a blue ribbon task-force of Chief Executive Officers, Superintendents, and education professionals to identify the most effective method for improving the quality of education in San Antonio. The Brainpower Taskforce recommended the development of a program focused on highquality prekindergarten services for four-year-old children.
Research shows high-quality prekindergarten has the most impact in improving overall education outcomes for a community and helps children to learn and read on grade-level, making them less likely to fall behind their classmates and more likely to graduate and attend college.
This proposed initiative will provide four-year-olds high-quality prekindergarten education through:
- Four Education Center facilities serving 500 students each with full-day Pre-K instruction
- Competitive Grant Awards to local independent school districts and other education providers to educate 1,700 children annually
- Professional Development for Pre-K through Grade 3 educators
- Proposed program over eight (8) years
- July 1, 2013 – June 30, 2021
- When program is fully implemented, 3,700 four-year-olds will be educated annually through Pre-K 4 SA initiative
- 22,400 four-year-olds served over eight-year period
- City will partner with school districts and other education entities to provide service
- Funded by 1/8 cent increase in local (San Antonio) sales tax rate (1/8 cent per $1.00 of taxable purchase) beginning April 1, 2013
Purpose and Goals
To improve quality and quantity of prekindergarten education for four-year-olds citywide:
- Achievement gaps reduced by at least 25% in language, 33% in math, and 90% in literacy when compared to kindergarten students who do not attend Centers
- By 3rd grade, students from Centers should close the achievement gap in STAAR reading and math assessments by at least 10%
- 20% to 40% Reduction in special education placement and grade retention
- To provide high-quality professional development for all Pre-K through 3rd grade educators in the City
- To help prepare our children for the 21st century job market
Why Pre-k 4 sa?
Pre-K 4 SA is a full-day prekindergarten program that also offers free afterschool care until 6:00 p.m. The program is highlighted by our experienced teachers, high quality curriculum and bilingual education options. Students are provided healthy and delicious meals including breakfast, lunch, and snacks at no extra cost and transportation is also available.