Residential Foster Care Inspection Requirements:
An application must be completed, submitted and the fee be paid at the Development and Business Services
Center located at 1901 S. Alamo before an inspection will be scheduled. The inspector will contact the
applicant and an appointment will be made to perform the inspection at the earliest convenient time. Call
(210) 207-8853 for additional information.
Information required is as follows:
• Business name and address, telephone number, type of foster care (children or adults) and name of licensing agency.
• Children cared for should have all required immunizations for their respective age groups.
• All pets must be vaccinated. Paperwork/written license for rabies vaccination must be presented upon request. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE!
• The building including windows and screens must be in a serviceable condition. Doors must be tightfitting. Hot and cold water, under pressure, shall be available at water using facilities. All faucets shall be of the mixer type design with the exception of outdoor faucets.
• Refrigerator must maintain a temperature of 41º Fahrenheit or less (recommend temperature: 38ºF to 40ºF). Freezer must maintain food products in a frozen state. Accurate thermometers for both refrigerator and freezer must be provided.
• Cutting boards must be of hardwood or food grade plastic.
• An approved water source or bottled water from an approved source must be provided.
• If children in diapers are to be taken care of, a diaper changing area close to a sink, one that is not used for food preparation, with hot and cold water is needed. Diaper changing pad must be in good condition. The sanitizing solution at diaper changing area must be at 50 to 100 ppm (parts per million). All supplies needed for diaper changing (powder, etc.) must be at diaper changing area. Proper handwashing techniques must be used before and after diaper changing.
• A basic first-aid kit must be kept.
• Grab bars in showers and at tub and toilet are required for elderly residents.
• Backflow preventers (anti-siphoning devices) must be installed at all outside hose hook-ups or other threaded faucets. Backflow preventers can be purchased at most building supply stores and at plumbing supply stores.
• The yard must be well kept. Fences must be in good repair. All harborage for mice, rats, ants, etc. must be removed (EX: OLD TIRES, HIGH WEEDS, STANDING WATER, JUNK CARS, AND
• Playground must be in good repair and free of hazards.