Office of Historic Preservation
Phone: (210) 215-9274
Government Hill is one of six San Antonio suburbs that
developed during the "Gilded Age" of the city’s history, from
1890 to 1930. The other opulent suburbs of this era are Monte
Vista, Alamo Heights, West End (Woodlawn Lake area), Tobin Hill,
and Laurel Heights. Each neighborhood features fine examples of
turn-of-the-century architecture. The Government Hill Historic
District is located immediately south of Fort Sam Houston and is
bounded by E. Grayson Street to the north, N. New Braunfels
Avenue to the east, IH-35 to the south, and Willow Street to the
west. The turn-of-the-century one and two-story commercial
structures along North New Braunfels Avenue effectively served
as the area's main street.
The Gothic Revival-style St. Paul’s Episcopal Church at 1018 E. Grayson was built in 1883 specifically to serve the military families in the Fort Sam area. The Bullis House Inn at 621 Pierce Street was constructed between 1909 and 1911 as the home of General John Lapham Bullis. The Classical Revival-style residence now serves as a Bed and Breakfast. The Romanesque Revival-style Terrell Castle or Lambermont as it was originally called, at 950 E. Grayson, was built in 1894 by noted San Antonio architect Alfred Giles for Edwin Terrell. It also serves as a Bed and Breakfast. A residential structure at 609 E. Carson Street originally served as the Faculty House for West Texas Military Academy. The academy, from which today’s Texas Military Institute evolved, was constructed in 1893 and included young Douglas MacArthur among its first class members.