Obtaining Police Reports
The "Texas Public Information Act" (Government Code, Chapter 552) provides for public access to most government records and for sale of copies of such records, including Police Reports. The Transportation Code (550.065) addresses the release of accident reports and sets fees for copies. The Texas Administrative Code (1 TAC 111.16 - .70) also addresses the cost of copies of open records (fees charged to the public for each copy of a record). In addition, the Code of Ordinances, City of San Antonio, (Chapter 25, Article I, Sec. 25-6) sets the SAPD fees for record searches and reports. All fees are set to cover the actual costs of materials, labor, equipment and overhead in making the copies of reports available.
How to obtain reports
Request By Mail: Download the Police Report Request Form (PDF). Please submit with a self-addressed, stamped envelope, and a money order payable to the City of San Antonio with your filled-out Police Report Request Form. Please mail your request to the San Antonio Police Department Records Office, 315 S. Santa Rosa, San Antonio, TX 78207.
Request In Person: The Records Office sells copies of Police Reports to the public ONLY at SAPD Headquarters located at 315 S. Santa Rosa, San Antonio Texas from the hours of 9:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. Monday - Friday.
To contact the Records Office by phone for additional information (reports cannot be ordered by phone), please call 210.207.7598.
FINGERPRINTS and IDENTIFICATION SERVICES
The Identification Office provides Fingerprinting Services, Background Checks/Criminal History information (personal, employment, housing), Clearance Letters, Consulate/Immigration Letters, and Notary services.
- Background Checks: An SAPD Background Check is limited to information in local SAPD records. It does NOT include information in other locations in Texas or in the U.S. It is the SAPD policy in checking arrest records for anyone other than a criminal justice agency that a Signed Release from the person the background check is being conducted on is required. If a representative (third party) submits the Request, the form will also need to be notarized.
- Fingerprinting: SAPD will fingerprint persons on an FBI or DPS card, but the person is responsible for sending the fingerprint card to FBI or DPS for a state-wide or nation-wide check.
Proper Identification is required prior to services being provided: Military ID, Birth Certificate, Driver's License, State-issued ID, or Alien Registration. The San Antonio Police Department Identification Office, located at 315 S. Santa Rosa (near the SAPD Records Office), is open to the public from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday. It is closed to the public on all City Holidays. To contact the Identification Office by phone for additional information (reports cannot be ordered by phone), please call 210.207.7605.
Payment 315 S. Santa Rosa accepts cash, money orders, or checks;
Link Centers also accept credit cards.
- Accident Reports $6.00
- Certified Accident Report $8.00 **
- Incident Report $0.10 per page for the first 50 pages (on-site reports)*
- Offense Reports $0.10 per page for the first 50 pages (on-site reports)*
- Police Surveys $18.00/hr (pro-rated) plus $0.10 per page
- Certification $2.00 extra
- Research fee (no case found) $2.00
* All reports more than 2 years old are stored in the Archives, which is located in an off-site
storage facility. A charge of $18.00 an hour (pro-rated), plus 10 cents per page applies to all reports that have
to be retrieved from the Archives. On-site report request more than 50 pages $18.00/ hr (pro-rated) Labor
Fee in addition to report fees.
** CERTIFIED ACCIDENT REPORTS:
Can be purchased from the Texas Department of Transportation, P.O. Box 12879, Austin TX 78711.
Make check or M.O. for $8.00 per certified report payable to: Texas Department of Transportation.
Questions, please call 512.486.5780
Fingerprints and Identification Services:
- Background Checks (Personal, Employment, Housing)
- Clearance Letter $10.00 per letter
- Criminal History $10.00 per transcript
- Consulate/ Immigration Letters $10.00 per letter
- Finger Prints $10.00 per card
- Notary / Certification $5.00
- COSA EMPLOYEE APPLICANTS NO CHARGE
- Background Checks (City Permit Applicants)
- Grounds Transportation $54.25
- Home Improvement $25.00
- Down Town Vendors $25.00 Plus $15.00 and $ 18.00 Money Order*
- Mobile Food Vendors $59.25
- Peddlers’ License $25.00
- Manager Permit (HD)** $100.00
- Floor Manager (HD)** $50.00
- Owner/ Operator (HD)** $375.00
- Entertainer (HD)** $50.00
* $15.00 Money Order Payable to TX DPS, $18.00 Money Order Payable to Treasury of the US